Wouldn't it be a treat to have a delicious yet low-fat breakfast cookie with your morning cup of coffee? Try these breakfast cookies for a yummy alternative to high calorie, high fat muffins.
This is a recipe from Tosca Reno Author of the bestseller "The Eat Clean Diet Cookbook". This is one of my favorite go-to cookbooks when I want a great-tasting recipe that also keeps you lean. I made a batch and packed some goodie bags for my evening clients Lynn and Candy. They loved them and also purchased Tosca's book. Here is the recipe for you to enjoy!
Breakfast Fruit and Nut Cookies
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Olivina or Light Oil (I used Land o Lakes Butter with Olive Oil Blend)
3 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Dried Figs
1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Tsp Best Quality Vanilla
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Bran Flakes
2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Allspice
1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine sugar, oil and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Stir in chopped dried fruit and vanilla.
3. Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine Whole Wheat Flour, Bran, Baking Soda, Flax Seed and Spices. Stir with a whisk or fork.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in Almonds.
5. Drop by tablespoon full onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat. Bake for 12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
*Make sure to let these cookies cool properly on a rack before placing them in an airtight container.