Monday, May 3, 2010

Weekend Fitness & Meals Ideas

This weekend Training =  Intervals/Roadwork.    Weekends are officially off from the gym.  The weather here in Rhode Island has been spectacular, too nice to be indoors.


My usual spring-summer route used to be jogging right down scenic 1A, all the way past Narragansett Beach to the end of the pier (around 5 miles).  It's a straight run from my house and the scenery by the water is beautiful.  Five miles is a nice amount for me at a steady jog, and sight seeing.   When I get to the pier I would call home for a pick up.


This Saturday morning I decided on sprint intervals down to URI bay campus, this hill is a killer!  A really steep drop, sprinting up is torture!  Hammies & glutes were on fire!  The water is directly down this hill.

When the weather warms up I am going to start my kayaking along with some sailing in Newport.  I love any type of water sport.  Narragansett Beach also offers Surf lessons daily at the beach.  I'm really looking forward to the summer this year.


I hit the Roch's Fresh Food Market before returning home.  A great market, kinda like a Whole Foods, but on a smaller scale.  Then I started my walk home carrying all my groceries.  What a great way to start the day,  and my weekend grocery shopping was done!

My son was coming by our house to help with our weekend gardening project (that means lunch & dinner), so I basically bribe him with food.  I posted some food photos below.


Fresh homemade Country Wheat Bread!  It was still warm when I got home!  I prepared fresh sliced turkey sandwiches for our lunch.  This bread is so crusty and good!


A little side dish of sun dried tomatoes, shaved parmigiano reggiano and spanish olives.  Small portions, but big on flavor!  A little goes a long way, so delicious!

Dinner was black angus burgers with cheese and grilled seasoned chicken breasts.


I also made a mixed green salad, with the best side ever!  You have to try this recipe for yourself!  So tasty and a little something different than your usual baked sweet potato or brown rice.


My Baked Butternut Squash & Sweet Potatoes cubed and baked for 45-50 minutes at 375 degrees.  You need to try it!

  • 1 large Butternut Squash pared and cut into 1 inch cubes (remove seeds)
  • 2 Sweet Potatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon Saigon Cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
  • Light Butter just a few dabs (optional)
*Instead of the brown sugar you can substitute with Organic Molasses (a good source of potassium, calcium & iron)


    4 comments:

    TheFitnessFreak said...

    That sounds like a wonderful weekend Renee! I'm very jealous : )

    Reneé DeLano said...

    Thanks, it was fun! We really got a lot accomplished and enjoyed being outdoors as well. Thanks for visiting!

    Sunshine Mama said...

    I love your recipes too. I will try this as soon as I get the ingredients. I saw something similar elsewhere, and the molassas has me interested as somone was just talking about that recently.

    You could use olive oil instead of butter don't you think?

    Also loved your aspargus breakfast. I love that veggie!

    Reneé DeLano said...

    Yes, you can use Olive Oil too! I used such a small amount of light butter, and it adds a ton of flavor. You do not have to use anything really, so tasty plain too!